Orientation classes

, , 2 comments
The last two days have been filled with various classes to prepare us for life as a ESL teachers in South Korea. We have two very lovely homeroom teachers called Scarlet (Young-ha) and Namki.

Scarlet and Namki our homeroom teachers. Scarlet is already a co-teacher while Namki (who speaks perfect English) is studying finance.

So what has happened over the last 2 days? From 9 till 8:30 pm we have had lectures. They are very long, but most of the guest lecturers are current teachers in the Epik programme who have a lot of really good advice to give. Things like, suggesting that it would be a good idea to send home a letter with the children for the parents to read, explaining that you are their new teacher and that you are very excited to be in the position etc. It seems as if most of these teachers are incredibly happy in their jobs, having planned to only stay for a year and ending up still teaching well after the decade mark.

Our class - 3 Gyeongbuk and Ulsan

Yesterday we did Taekwando. If it hadn't been so hot I would probably have enjoyed it more. However, because it was so boiling, I wasn't over the moon about it.  Although it is clearly a lot more difficult than I though it would be. I wasn't wildly impressed that they decided to not turn on the air conditioning.

If you look closley you can see a picture of me doing the exercise while being incredibly unimpressed.

It is still incredibly hot here. It is a bit ridiculous at times. In fact I have had 3 showers today. From what I can tell it will be like this for the next month or so and then it will very very quickly become cold again (which suits me). After a dinner of honey fried chicken, kimchi, salad, rice and fruit, we had Korean class. Basically, I am a verrryyy slow learner. It isn't a very difficult alphabet to master, but I figure I will need quite a bit more time to figure it out. Oh, I have a year I guess.

I also had a chance to go to Lotte Mart. It was really quite a nice relief to visit it. I had been told by a variety of people that there are so many western products that they do not stock here. I was told to say goodbye to all cheese, yoghurt and pasta. I am happy to say that Lotto Mart has just about everything imaginable - and on four different stories no less. So I am not very stressed about being able to cook. On a sinister note, they were selling live eels.

This evening I went to Paris Baguette with Saree (the New Zealander) and Rebecca (the American) and had a giant cafe Mocha. One the walk home I noticed a couple of other epik people sitting and drinking outside of 7/11. This is something that I have battled to wrap my head around. In Korea, it is legal to drink anywhere on the street. Because of this, there are a number of picnic tables set up around 7/11 where everyone sits and drinks alcohol, as if it was a bar.  In fact, every time you want another beer you just pop back inside to buy another one. So I had a drink or two at the 7/11 before heading home. (I know - in my country this is something that only homeless people do).

One of the most unanticipated obstacles is that I have had to deal with is being severely outnumbered by teachers from other countries. It seems to me that our orientation is made up almost exclusively of Americans and Canadians, with a small smattering of English. I am by far the only person from Africa in my class and because of this, my accent sticks out even more. The odd time that I have asked a question in class I can feel people listening to it.  But then I remind myself that I should probably get used to it because I will be the only English teacher in my school next week.

The North Americans and me. LOL

I still have no idea where I am being placed, and it is driving me mad! Some people have gotten personalised emails from their co-teachers, but I have yet to get anything. Oh well soon enough I suppose. I listened to a lecture from a guy who lives in Pohang. It sounds great - I am holding thumbs that its where I get put.

Tommorrow will be a field trip day. They are taking us to see a traditional Korean village. It should be really good. Im looking foward to it!
But for now,  love to everyone at home.

Claire :)

2 comments :

  1. Hey Claire
    Your blog is awesome! Thanks for sharing all your adventures! It really gets me excited to join you! Good luck with the rest of your orientation & for your placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your blog helps us to feel we can share a bit of it all with you . Also hope for a great placement ! All at home!

    ReplyDelete