Day one of EPIK orientation

, , 2 comments
 
 
My room mate and I decided to skip breakfast today and sleep in a little longer, so I only had to be awake for 9 am.  Which meant I had a good 12 hours of rest. We will after all, be at orientation for the next 9 days. I know that the culture shock will set in soon, but to be honest, I have been sooo busy I haven't felt it. It has taken a day or so to get my internet working, OMG is it fast. For all of you who know me, I take the internet very seriously. So I am loving every moment of the high speed wireless on campus.

So on the first day of orientation we had a campus tour, which would have been interesting, accept for the fact that it was so incredibly hot and humid, that no one was overly interested. It is a smallish campus in a town surrounded by mountains and hills. It is still very pretty. We are using the campus as an orientation venue while the students are on summer holidays. I can estimate that there must be about 400 people at my orientation. About 90 % of them being Americans. They all ask me if I am British. "Oh wow South Africa?"

After the tour, we had lunch, which I really enjoyed! I understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea, but I really liked the variety. Definitely a foodie's dream. It was just a bit strange to eat with metal chop sticks... everything just seems to slip off of them. I much prefer wooden ones.
Anyway lunch was rice, spicy kimchi (stewed spicy cabbage), fried oriental chicken, pork galbi, bean salad and mushroom and broccoli salad.I tried a little of everything


After lunch we had an opening ceremony which was really cool. We had a Taekwando demonstration. It seemed as if there were Asian men and women jumping around the stage, smashing wooden blocks in half, effortlessly.  Unfortunetly I forgot to put my graphics card back into my camera so I couldnt take any pictures. But it was pretty great! After this we had a class meeting and our Koreans teachers for the week gave us chocolates!



After dinner we went out to a bar and had Korea beer and flavoured soju (peach, strawberry and grape). It was all pretty good and very cheap only 3000 won (which is about R30). I walked around with Sahree and her roomate (an really nice American girl) and took a few pictures.





Anyway off to bed, got to be up bright and early for a medical exam. Night night!

2 comments :

  1. Aaahh!! I'm super jelly right now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best Claire. Looks like you're enjoying yourself down there!

    ReplyDelete