Summer in South Africa

, , No Comments

For my summer vacation, I took some time to go home and see my family in South Africa. I think I have rarely been so excited in my life. After booking tickets home, I spent months fascinating about all the different foods I would eat and everyone I wanted to hug. I can quite happily say I had the best two  weeks ever. The best part was that my mom and dad had no idea I was coming!

Arriving at the airport - roses and biltong in hand.

After a very long flight to South Africa and a nostalgic moment listening to the cheesy jokes on Kalula airways, I finally got to see my sister, and surprisingly,  my close friends as well all waiting at the airport. It was  overwhelming combination of happiness, exhaustion and relief. I think I feel asleep at 7.45 that evening.

Lauren, Gabi, Justin and Hilary at the airport!
My favorite moment was my arrival at my aunts house. I sneaked up to the veranda area and simply said "hello". My mother who was casually sipping a glass of wine, dropped her jaw in surprise and put her head in her hands. "What are you doing here????" My dad was completely silent for 10 minutes. They had no idea that I would be home for a fortnight - expecting me to be exploring in Japan (I even sent them a fake itinerary).

I had a lot of fun waking my university friend, Gabi up from a nap. She dived out of bed in disbelief. "What?? I though you were in KOREA???"

Having a holiday beer with Justin and Gabi. Miss these two a lot. Justin fairly annoyed to be posing for a photo. 

Gabi - 5 minutes after I woke her up!


Being home can be very healing. There is something about being around your family and friends, who have know you all your life, that just helps you to de-stress and relax. I will be the first to say that I love Korea and my job as a teacher but sometimes you just need to go home to a sense of familiarity. After a long semester of work, all I wanted to do was lie in the sunshine and play with my puppy. I am happy to report that was exactly what I did!


My sister with Charlie as a puppy 6 months before - he is now fully grown.
6 months later and this dog is massive.
Matching Mr Price dresses! Hilary and I.

Out with all my High school buddies.

My mom and I at Moksh Curry House. 

My sister (also know as poo head) and I.


Moksh Indian Curry house for a family dinner (My dad and sister).

Drinking a glass of red with Justin at Beau Constantia. 

Possibly the best thing I did on my trip to South Africa was eat. I think I put on a good 3 or 4kgs while I was at home. It was great to do nothing but eat fetta, red meat and avocado. I think I had forgotten how much variety in food there is in South Africa. I can without a shrivel of a doubt announce that I did not miss Kimchi while I was away.


The braai my aunt prepared for the whole family! Steak, Spinach and Fetta potatoes and even Amarula. 
Col cachio - salami, garlic, rocket (arugula) pizza.
Coming home after such a long time meant that I could be a tourist in my city all over again. It really made me appreciate how beautiful Cape Town is.

Over looking Gordons Bay - Where you can go whale watching. 

Boulder Penguin beach.

The bay market in Hout Bay.
Somerset West (the area  I live in)  at Vergelegen Wine Estate.

Wine Tasting at Vergelegen.

The train tracks at Kalk Bay (from Cape to Cuba restaurant).

0 comments :

Post a Comment