Food Food Food

, , No Comments
Half the fun of travelling is food right? Here's a look at a couple more dishes I have eaten recently. All of which I NEVER would have tried 2 years ago. All I can say is, don't hate it till you taste it!

Kimchi- jjigae. This is Kimchi stew, with pork and Tofu. Its pretty spicy but surprisingly flavourful.  taken on Namhae island.

Patbingsu. Think of Ice cream with a healthier twist. Instead of cream, it is made of shaved ice. The dessert has the same sensation of a good ice cream sundae, with half the calories. Essentially any topping with a shaved ice base. Its like eating a desert with out the richness.  A delicious Korean dessert that I took WAY to long to try, Eaten in Andong, Gyeongsangbuk-do. 
Mandu. This is a dish I eat for dinner at least once a week. You can get a very filling portion for about  4000 won ($4/ R40). It is essentially either stuffed with kimhi (spicy cabbage) or a spring onion and pork mixture. It normally comes with a tangy soy sauce and pickled radish.

Gamtajang or Pork Bone Soup. The dish is cooked slowly until the meat falls off the bone, in a spicy broth with vegetables and cabbage. It is served boiling hot and with sides of rice, peppers and kimchi.

Candied Yams. Although this dish isn't Korean but rather American. It was still foreign to me. I had my first experience with this dish on American Thanksgiving when one of the American foreigners in my town bought the dish for our Turkey sit down meal. It is basically mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon topped off with roasted and melted marshmallows. To me the description sounded a tad gross but the overall effect was delicious.
Last but not least, A Korean pear,  At home I really like pears but have never experience anything on this size or scale before. Korean pairs are about half the size of my head. Eating one sweet Korean pear is enough for dinner. 
Mushroom bibimbap. This is a vegetable and rice dish with a twist - Bonghwa mushrooms. These are mushrooms famous around Korea for being delicious. They did not disappoint!

0 comments :

Post a Comment