Itaewon, Drumming and Pizza

, , No Comments
Recently, a group of the girls ans I went up to Seoul to watch our friend Heather play the jangu (Korean Traditional Drum). She had been taking classes on the weekends all semester so we decided to make a day of it in Seoul.

We went over to Itaewon, a famous foreigner district for fire baked pizza (The only one I have ever come across in Korea). Pizza Peel was delicious and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good English speaking pizza restaurant. Part of their appeal is that there is a wide range of toppings not often found in Korea. Everything from prosciutto, feta and brie to  Dr Pepper soda and American ranch dressing (a staple in American homes- or so I have been taught). A girl in my town from Alabama was borderline horrified that  I had never had "Ranch" before. She solemnly said that South Africa needs help, for no society can fully function without the help of 'Ranch".

Itaewon is located close to a big US army base which  means that many of the restaurants and shops stock western and American products.

Bacon, and Salami pizza from Pizza Peel in Itaewon. 

The girls waiting for their pizzas.

Shopping in Itaewon. 

 Another great thing about Itaewon is the foreigner food market where you can buy all kinds of  imported products from all over the world. I managed to get my hands on things like couscous, fresh humus and even Reese's peanut butter cups ( a new find that I absolutely love). They have all kinds of interesting things to look at like Tim Tams from Australia or toothpaste from Canada as well as an array of Indian spices. I always spend way too much money whenever I go there. Angelique nearly cried from joy when she got her hands on a pack of Salt and Vinegar lays in the mart. It was an emotional moment for this Afrikaans lady - an unexpected reuniting with her favourite chips. I watched her dance down the hill holding two big packs, explaining that she would not have dinner because she didn't want to spoil her appetite for the chips.

The alley way that the market can be found on is affectionately known as 'Hooker Hill'. I didn't personally see any Hookers, but I suppose I'm not really their target audience. Maybe if I go back at night? :P

How to get there: Take Itaewon subway station exit 3. You will be opposite the Hamilton Hotel. Walk straight towards the big KB bank and past Subway Sandwich. Once you see Jesters (a pie shop) Turn right up an Alley way. The foreigner market can be found up and along the hill. 

This is one of three Foreigner food market shops that I have visited along the alley way.
Itaewon

We also spent a great afternoon watching Heather drum in a concert.  She played the traditional Korean drum called the Janggu, along with a class of other beginner foreigners. Our superstar drummer stood out because she was the only left handed person on stage. It looked like she was leading! She attended a semester long course in how to play the Janggu in Seoul every Saturday for 10 weeks in a music programme paid for by the government.  There were also a number of other kids who preformed. The kindergartners in their Hanbok (traditional Korean dress) were adorable. I loved the rhythm of the drums, the sound carried so well that you could feel it beating in your chest. It was quite a special experience especially seeing my friend be the one to create it.

The one instrument however, that I didn't really understand, was the Gayageum. It is a traditional string like instrument that essentially lies on the floor and you pluck it. It was played by a few Korean families as part of the concert. In all honesty,  it sounded sort of like a very badly tuned sitar. Every time they plucked at a string, Brie and I would have to stifle a giggle. I don't necessarily think it was the players but more the instrument itself. Even if Mozart himself had played the Gayageum  it would have sounded just as strange. The Gayageum is definitely the less cooler of Korean instruments.

Here are some photos of Heather's performance:

Heather drumming at the concert. 

The gayageum. 

Kindergarten Jangu
Until next time.

xx

0 comments :

Post a Comment