A Guide to Broken Sentences in Korea

, , No Comments
Teaching 3-13 year old's who cant really speak English can be incredibly challenging - but not without its laughs and rewards. Sometimes when things are lost in translation - it makes for a pretty funny moment. Especially when it eventually dawns on you what the child is trying to tell you!

The 5th graders. They have matching "Love Nambu" t-shirts for sports day.
I have had countless instances of 'green lemon' actually meaning 'apple' or on one particularly confusing occasion when a 3rd grader meant for it to be 'a small lettuce head'. I still consider it one of my greatest achievements as an elementary school teacher that I managed to accurately deduce lettuce from 'green lemon'. I have also become an absolute ace at charades. You don't know what a 'cat' is? No problem Claire teacher will make paws, scratch her nose and make meowing noises at you till you understand. You don't even want to know how I described a sloth.


The photo I used to explain "Don't sleep late".
I laughed at a friend teacher, Barbara who recently told me it took her the whole 40 minute lesson to figure out what her student meant by "young water".  The 2nd grader had been trying to explain that her water was dirty and old and she wanted a new one. Needless to say the child spent most of the lesson insisting repeatedly on "Young water no old age water". My first clue would have been anti-ageing cream or vitamin water - I think she did really well.

To me this is the crux of ESL teaching. No sentence is fully complete, even when talking to some of the most qualified and esteemed professionals at your school. My principal, who has recently, and quite triumphantly I might add, mastered "How are you?" Although when I reply he doesn't  actually understand how I  am so its a bit of a deflated victory on his part. He surprised me the other day when he came marching over during lunch and shouted "Noodles!" at my tray and then promptly disappeared from the cafeteria.

Kids getting ready for sports day!
"Me go toi- let-uh now now?" is a phrase I hear almost daily when students ask to use the bathroom. As a fully assimilated school pack member of almost 2 years,  I now happily say "Lunch-ie ti-m-uh" at 12:10 everyday and skip off to my midday meal with the kids, finding no error in my speaking.

Because of this confusing mesh of words and sentences it can be quite daunting if your new to Korea and aren't practiced in the art of charades and miming. So, for any newbie teacher who is battling their way through Konglish (Korean English) here's a list of things some of my students say and how to interpret it. I hope it helps you!

Phrases and how to interpret them:

1. Fire  Friday - They don't mean there is literally a fire - more that it's great that it's finally Friday and they can party (although at 12 and under its unlikely to happen).

2. Tissue - I need the bathroom (and I have serious business to attend to in there if you know what I mean).

3. Green Lemon - Any type of fruit or vegetable known to man (possibly tennis or squash balls as well).

4. No Jam - My high schoolers used to say this,  normally meaning "This doesn't work for me thanks" (Example: T:" Open your books please"  S: " Teacher, no jam.")

5. Jooombi - They mean Zombie, the same applies to Loobaat (Robot).


Can anyone think of any others to add?
Happy guessing!



0 comments :

Post a Comment