Pub crawl of epic proportions

, , 2 comments
This weekend, I went up to the Seoul area for the Ilsan pub crawl.
What a magnificent venture.
It is a crawl along all the bars in Ilsan to raise money for charity. Tamrin and I, being very charitable people.. had no choice but to take part. It was a huge night. We went home at 6am on the first train. I do remember a patch of time where Tamrin, Janet and I thought it would be a good idea to have a nap under one of the bar tables. We even went as far as to make up a drinking song and solemnly promised each other we would add other verses to it next time we were drunk. We pinkie-promised each other before downing a shot of soju to seal the deal. I felt like throwing up most of the bus ride home back to Yeongju on Sunday. Not my proudest moment haha.

On the way to Seoul. Yeongju Bridge.

Out in Ilsan (Tamrin's picture)

The lights of Ilsan!
Drinking with the girls in Ilsan
Teaching this week has been a little challenging.  I have a particularly difficult class on Monday afternoons. In this weeks' lesson there were two boys who managed to rub me up the wrong way over the course of an hour. Eventually I threw one of them out of class, only to have him come back in again and argue with me in Korean. He was hugely disruptive and slammed the door on the way out, all while shouting racist remarks at the trick or treating little girls displayed on the screen.

Dealing with teenagers is hard.
Dealing with teenage boys, who don't speak English is even harder.
One of the most difficult aspects is the fact that, as hard as I try, it is difficult to be authoritative and intimidating when everyone in your class towers above you. Its much easier to shout down to a child, then to shout up at one. My schools policy to give the kids a smack around when they misbehave. I am trying very hard to avoid this because I don't really think it's right. But Jeez, do they make it difficult for me to resist this.
It was one of those days where you go home, have a glass of wine, watch trashy television and hope tomorrow is better. In general though, most of the other classes are really great and easy to deal with.  My classes on Tuesday are wonderful. They continue to interest and intrigue me.

The renegade class!!!
I had another Bizarre-o experience last Wednesday when a boy called me over to his table and handed me his cellphone. On the screen was a picture of myself... shopping at Home plus in the crisps isle two days before. "Teacher you shop Home Plus".
What a creepy 16 year old.
I felt like saying... "Yes teacher does have a life like everyone else"
Whats concerning, is that he felt the need to hide behind another isle and take a picture of me.

On a lighter note a lot of the Yeongju-ians are getting ready for the annual Halloween party. Which should be great. There are serious planning committees and everything. I'm on the decorating one. For someone who doesn't normally care about Halloween at all, I've dived in! All the foreigners in my town get together and throw it every year. It Should be really fun. Once again I am so grateful to be part of a foreigner community that is so active. Hey who knows... maybe we'll add a few verses to our drinking song on the night. I'm torn whether to go as a fairy or team up with Tamrin to be 2 Broke Girls.

Yes or no?

Suggestions?

2 comments :

  1. loving the blog still, keep it up! always have a good chuckle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Love the comments! Your blog is pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete