Angry Ajummas

, , 1 comment
I never thought I would be scared of little old ladies. But Korean little old ladies play on a totally different level to your sweet old nana at home. My concept of old people has been limited to crocheting and Mint Imperials. Not these women! They are capable of retaining the fear of many. Frankly, I am much more scared of the lady who sits outside the GS24 (convenience store), than I am of my principal.

For everyone who doesn't know, an Ajumma loosely refers to an older lady in Korea.

It seems to be a generational thing. Although I would like to clearly say, that I have also come across some lovely ladies. However, as a stereotype some women from this error seem to be pushy, aggressive and just plain angry.
And I have no idea why.
Maybe they've just reached the age where they no longer care what people think of them. I suppose at 85, maybe I'll feel like I deserve to be first in line as well. This being my experience at Homeplus, when an ajumma positively growled at me to get in front. Hey I suppose a good 60 years of paying tax in a country should entitle you to something right?

While shopping in Itaewon a few days ago Tamrin and I witnessed a crowd of people crossing the street. Clearly the three ajummas in the car (like a trio of aggressive power puff girls), had no intention of waiting for everyone to cross the street. The ajumma in the driving seat loudly revved the engine, warning any innocent passersby that she meant business. Suddenly there was a mass panicked scattering of the crowd. A teenage girl gave a little squeal as she moved out of the way and the victorious grannies roared on by. I suppose I should just hope I'm like that when I'm older.
"stuff the crowd.. I want to drive now mwhahaha".

On a lighter note... two of the foreigners Natalie and Marais said they are thinking of going as Ajumma's to the Halloween party. I think its a brilliant idea! I hope they win:

Natalie and Marais- I'm sorry... I couldn't help it!! :)
In general can't complain. Had a relaxing weekend at home! Missing everyone from South Africa. I am incredibly jealous of everyone tanning and swimming in the sea. It was about 5 degrees Celsius early this morning... and this is only the beginning!

1 comment :