Thailand trip: Bangkok

, , No Comments
I have finally returned from vacation! So for the next two posts I will cover our fantastic trip to Thailand! I went with a fellow South African teacher from Yeongju, Robyn. We had a pretty great time getting daily massages and eating pad thai noodles for 10 days in the tropical paradise that is Thailand...

Robyn and I finally arrived in Bangkok on Sunday evening, exhausted from our long flight beginning in Seoul, stopping over in Hong Kong and finally arriving at Suvarnabhumi International Airport early evening. By the time we found A and A Guest house on Rambuttri road, we were mightily fed up especially with the taxi driver who ripped us off. Yet, it was nothing that a little green Thai curry and a foot massage couldn't fix!

Breakfast on Rambuttri road


A and A backpackers. Was a nicely situated place, no too noisy and clean. Perfect for what we needed! 

The balcony at A and A guesthouse
One of my favorite things about Thailand is that you can get a massage, practically on the side of the road, for as cheap as 150 Bhat (50 rand or $4.50). I think I took advantage of this almost everyday I was there. My limited experience of massages included oils, aromatherapy and general blissful relaxation. I quickly learned that Thai massages are totally different.
 Frankly, they f***ing hurt. I lay there waiting for relaxation and rubbing to begin only to be greeted by a woman's elbow digging into my spine repeatedly. I felt slightly traumatized after the half hour session, especially when she twisted my upper and lower body in separate directions (ahh!). I remember paying the lady who had repeated jabbed me in the back, like a victim of voluntary assault, thinking there's not a chance in the world that I'm coming back for more.

Yet to my surprise an hour or so later I felt fully relaxed. I think this is the crux of the Thai massages:
 No pain no gain.
From what I can tell, Thai massage aims to improve overall wellness through the manipulation of pressure points to create general relaxation and in many cases to release toxins stored in our muscles. If this is the case - I must have had the most toxin free body by day 10!

On our first full day in Bangkok we visited the Grand Palace. At 500 Bhat each we weren't sure if it was worth the entrance or not. Couldn't we just stand next to it and smile for a photo at the entrance? In the end we decided to just pay up and enjoy the experience, we probably weren't going to be here again right? If you do ever go to Bangkok I think its very well worth a visit. I was fascinated by the intricacy of the tiled walls and gold painted Buddhas. It was quite something to look at. We did chuckle at a Korean tourist next to us who stood unaffected on her cellphone, listening to a song by Maroon 5.










A note to the ladies, you must dress modestly, covering all knees and shoulders. If you didn't realize this-  just like we didn't- there are sarongs for hire quite easily.

Generally I enjoyed visiting Bangkok but probably wouldn't go back again in a hurry. Advice to anyone looking to go to Thailand:  Stop in Bangkok for the shopping and move on to prettier parts of the country after a day or 2.

Nothing like ending a long day with some great Thai food and a coconut cocktail!




Chiang Mai and Phuket next!

0 comments :

Post a Comment