A weekend in Everland

, , 3 comments
This weekend I went up to Seoul to visit Everland. It is one of Korea's theme parks (a bit like Disney land)

The entrance to Everland. Behind this is what feels like a big castle.
 
Not a thing is  out of place.. The real flowers are immaculate, all over the park.

 (For those who want to visit- its really easy to take a shuttle \ 6000 a way. It leaves from Seoul city hall, just off the subway. It makes getting to Everland about an hours journey)

Everland was awesome! Although I had to que for nearly an hour and a half, the wooden rollercoster - The T express, was by far the best. It is technically the second highest wooden roller coaster in the world. Good god, did it feel high. In fact it was about the same height as the small mountain next to it. Most of all, it is the anticipation of climbing steadily to the top, before plummeting, almost at a 90 degree angle, to the ground. It is not for the faint hearted. It was still an exhilarating rush and I would definitely ride it again.

The entrance to the T-Express rollercoaster
Another stand out moment was the Horror Maze. I can without a doubt say that I was scared shitless. There are no two ways about it.
 I had been through horror mazes before and expected it to be a couple of wondering zombies, or maybe a dressed up nurse operating on a fake patient. All I can say is that Asians scare on a totally different level. I said f**** a fair bit.  People physical chase and grab you along the way, there was even a point where they locked you in separate cages. I had my head buried in the person in front of me for a good 80 % of the time, but I swear I heard growling. I took photos, but had to delete them because I was shaking and they were completely blurred. Either way, when we all emerged.. half the group had to go for a nice long cigarette.







 What amazes me is that the women seem to come to Everland exquisitely dressed. Many of them walk around in 5 inch heels for kilometers. I figured there would be water rides and so I wore hoddie and jeans. At one point, Tamrin and I went to the bathroom, only see a group of women re- straightening their hair. Roller coasters can be so taxing on ones hair-do. There were also a couple of cosmetics stores inside the theme park itself just in case you run out of lip gloss?

The Halloween parade!

The girls taking a rest between rides.
For the evening we went to a Mexican restaurant, called "On the Boarder" - It was pretty great to just sit down and have a mojito after a long day of walking. The rest of the evening was spent clubbing in Hongdae- a foreigner friendly area.Tamrin and I met a New Zealander that we dragged around with us for most of the evening.

School is pretty relaxed this week, I get to go home at 12 o'clock because the students are writing exams. Last weeks' theme was all about advertising. I taught them a bunch of key words before getting them to create their own logos and products. Some of them were interesting and inventive like a face-moulder and a water bottle that refilled itself. However, the picture below was just plain concerning. A boy decided to advertise the devil (??). The picture was of the devil posing with a peace sign on the beach. Oh well. All I keep thinking is, glad its not my child.

The devil ?

The second graders planning their products.

3 comments :

  1. Love the hair straightener part haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha me too! Wow those second graders look so old! How old are they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey haha... no they are 16. In high school they have 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders :)

    ReplyDelete